Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why the sad face?


Have you ever noticed those big yellow stickers in buses and bus-stop waiting sheds that remind bus riders to let the elderly, the disabled, the pregnant, and those traveling with kids to get in the bus first? Those yellow stickers were made by the Rotary Club of San Juan Del Monte, and I think they're a good reminder for seat-hungry people to have a little charity.

I just found it odd (in a slightly amusing way, because this observation is so very... trivial) how the illustrations in the signs struck me as slanted. There is an illustration representing each person whom one should be considerate of. The old woman and the crippled man are smiling but the pregnant woman and the woman with kids are not. I may be reading too much into it, but I think it's unfair to show that having kids or being with kids pastes a perpetual frown on a face. In fact, commuting with (talkative) kids can even be very amusing.

I hope people would stop suggesting or associating children with doom. For homework, read this post from Generations for Life. Watch the video too. Good to know these things.

No comments: