Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Write and write


Quick post, since this is a long and busy week and I can't leave my blog stagnant.

Read this in one of those forewords before. It's Stephen King talking about writing. I still think his writing about writing is better than anything else he's ever written. Or maybe because I haven't read Carrie, or whatever best ever thing he's written. (For the record, I have read The Shining, a short story collection called Everything's Eventual, and The Gunslinger.) Peace, Stephen King, you're still cool.

----

I am often given the big smiling handshake at parties (which I avoid attending whenever possible) by someone who then, with an air of gleeful conspiracy, will say, 'You know I've always wanted to write.' I used to try to be polite. These days I reply with the same jubilant excitement: 'You know I've always wanted to be a brain surgeon.' They look puzzled. It doesn't matter. There are a lot of puzzled people lately. If you want to write, you write. The only way to learn to write is by writing.
--Stephen King

----

Now, back to work.

No comments: