Thursday, November 18, 2010

Barya barya

(Image for illustration purposes only. Peace!)

Have you ever been asked for change in a huge commercial establishment, the type that you generally should not expect to ask you for "barya" because of their apparent money magnanimity? This is one thing I find very amusing and frustrating at the same time--frustrating because you're checking out your purchases already and are forced suddenly to dig in your purse for an errant 25 centavos, and amusing because it happens so often you can guess that the lady at the cashier would ask it... it's just the matter of her phrasing that you have to get right in your head.

Speaking of phrasing, there's a different tact that some cashier personnel have come to use: instead of asking for exact payments, they ask if it's okay with you if you receive insufficient change! Why, imagine how much money that would sum up to if everyone who bought something received 25 centavos less or a peso less in their due change!

I'm really in need of a little more spunk in this aspect, so I'm quite thankful this particular tactic hasn't been tried on me yet. But should it happen to you, here are two comebacks you may want to use, courtesy of my sister Isis, who has encountered such impudence more than once already:

Cashier: "Ma'am kulang lang po ng 25 centavos." (While handing over the insufficient change.)
You: "Tatanggapin mo ba ang bayad ko kung kulang?"

Or

Cashier: "Ma'am okay lang po ba kung kulang?"
You: "Ok kung sobra."

Say it lightly and don't pick a fight! Most of the time, cashier personnel do this because they're too lazy to look for change not very well-prepared and feel that looking around will hold up the line. This is a chance for you to help them do better in their job, so they can be more prudent and helpful next time. Don't forget to say thank you when you get the right change!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Nicole, it's a frustrating thing for me, too. You're right, I always expect this when I'm paying for my purchases but lately, I learned how to flatly say, "No, I don't" without even looking at my purse. I haven't had much experience with the kulang na change strategy but I did have cashiers giving me candies (storck, halls, etc)!

petrufied said...

Hi Judie! haha they gave you candy in exchange for their lack of barya? at least that way you get what you pay for.

there was a time when my change was 12 centavos and the cashier gave me 10 centavos. I told a friend about it and she said i should've asked for 15 centavos because dapat di lugi ang customer. small difference, but it's still a difference! (maybe they should make those one centavo coins again haha)